The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairperson Najam Sethi is reportedly disappointed over the latest revenue-sharing model announced by the International Cricket Council (ICC). The newly introduced model will be effective from the calendar year of 2023 till the end of 2027.
The Board of Cricket Control for India (BCCI) is set to enjoy the largest stake in the revenue-sharing model. India would claim 38.5% of the total revenue followed by England (6.89%) and Australia (6.25%). Notably, Pakistan ranks fourth and will likely pocket (5.75%) of ICC’s total remuneration. Apart from the four eminent apex bodies, no other country will earn more than 5% of ICC’s revenue.
The ICC’s revenue model is derived from the stronghold Financial and Commercial Affairs (F&CA) committee. The 12 full-member nations of the ICC will collectively earn 88.81% of the total revenue whereas the other 11.19% will get distributed amongst the 96 associate member nations affiliated with the ICC.
PCB will question the credibility of ICC’s revenue-sharing model
The 2023-27 ICC Revenue model was highly criticized by the Pakistan Cricket Board. Chief Najam Sethi stated that they have no objection over the highest stake for BCCI (India) as it is the financial engine of global cricket. However, Sethi was more concerned about how the projected numbers were actually arrived at by the F&CA.
The F&CA is ICC’s most reputed and powerful committee that takes crucial decisions on all monetary affairs. It is currently being headed by the President of the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) and Secretary of BCCI, i.e. Jay Amit Shah. The PCB has sought a proper explanation of how the determination of the revenue-sharing model amongst the full member nations is made. PCB will likely question the credibility of the model once it is proposed for approval by ICC in July 2023.
Meanwhile, former English cricketer Mike Atherton has also raised his eyebrows and criticized the model stating that it will certainly bring international cricket into disrepute as the financially weak countries will get weaker and the strong will continue to dominate.
Also read, LSG Vs MI: Lucknow Outclass Mumbai To Occupy Third Position