Australia named three uncapped players on Thursday in a preliminary 26-man squad for a potential limited-overs tour of England, while recalling Glenn Maxwell and Usman Khawaja.
Australia scheduled three One Day & Three 20-20 Internationals in England this month but the trip was postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic. September is seen as the potential alternative after International Cricket in England resumes behind closed doors last week, although Cricket Australia said “several hurdles” have to be overcome before the dates are fixed. However selectors have decided to select a preliminary group to give them adequate time to prepare if the tour goes ahead.
The England Cricket Board are our valued international cricket partner & we are doing all we can to give the tour the best possible chance of taking place”, said CA’s head of national teams Ben Oliver. “In the meantime, the identification of a preliminary list will enable us to work with players and states more directly on the preparation for the tour in the hope it can proceed.”
Uncapped limited-overs specialists Daniel Sams, Riley Meredith and Josh Philippe were included, but there was no room for veterans Shaun Marsh and Nathan Coulter-Nile, who both featured in last year’s World Cup.
Middle order batsman Peter Hands comb was also overlooked while pacemen Jhye Richardson is still recovering from shoulder surgery. But Maxwell will return after taking a break in October to deal with mental health issues. “This preliminary list covers the contingencies of playing one-day internationals and T20 international in bio-secure hubs with the likely prospect of not being able to bring in replacements should the tour proceed,” said selector Trevor Hohns. The list includes several exciting young players who have recently excelled at state level and in the Big Bash League.
“These emerging players are among those we would like to develop further as we believe they have a bright future in Australian cricket”.