England’s star bowler Jofra Archer is ruled out of the second Test Match against the West Indies & sent into self-isolation on Thursday for braking “bio-secure protocols” which are placed to stop coronavirus infections, said the ECB.
Both the teams have been living in secure “bubble” sites at the Ageas Bowl, which was the venue for the last week’s Test match & Emirates Old Trafford where the final two matches of the series will take place, in a bid to combat the spread of COVID-19. The fast bowler apologized for putting his teammates in danger although how he breached the protocols was not disclosed by him. His removal from the team was announced just three hours before Thursday’s scheduled 2nd Test Series which will take place in Manchester.
“I am extremely sorry for what I have done,” Archer, who played in last week’s first Test, said in an ECB statement.
“I have put, not only myself but the whole team and management in danger. I fully accept the consequences of my actions, and I want to sincerely apologies to everyone in the bio-secure bubble. The West Indies team has been made aware & are satisfied with the measures that have been imposed”, the ECB statement said.
It is understood that Archer’s breach of the rules took place sometime after Sunday’s end of the first test match win at the Ageas Bowl & before the team arrived at Old Trafford.
However, the Breach will provoke an angry response from the officials at Lord’s after they made strenuous efforts to persuade West Indies & Pakistan to tour England this season against the backdrop of more than 44,000 deaths in Britain during the pandemic. Therefore it was of the utmost importance to the ECB that the West Indies series & Pakistan’s tour of England which are taking place behind closed doors went ahead.