England fast bowler Jofra Archer will be available to play in next week’s third & final test match against the West Indies after being removed from the second test match for breach of coronavirus protocols.
England fast bowler Jofra Archer will now be available to play in next week’s third & final test match against the West Indies after being ruled out of the second Test match for the breach of coronavirus protocols the ECB announced on Saturday, just 2-3 hours before the start of the second Test match. Both the teams have been living in a “bio-secure bubble” sites at the Ageas Bowl the venue for last week’s first test & Emirates Old Trafford where the final two matches of the series are taking place.
Archer Jofra broke the rules by going home to Hove on Monday during which he met with an unnamed individual from outside the “bubble” after England’s four-wicket loss in the first Test at Southampton last week before the team travelled to Manchester. He was then left out of the ongoing second Test that started Thursday with Archer self-isolating in an onsite hotel room at Old Trafford for five days.
England Managing director Ashley Giles on Friday decided an “undisclosed” fine and a written warning amounted to sufficient punishment, with the 25-year-old Archer’s “impeccable record” counting in his favour.
Former England captain Michael Vaughan had appealed fro Archer to also be dropped from the third test match. Archer will now undergo two COVID-19 tests & get negative results before his isolation period is lifted. The ECB said that Archer was due to rejoin the team on Tuesday three days before Friday’s start of the third test match.
“Jofra Archer has been fined an undisclosed amount and received an official written warning after admitting to breaching the team’s bio-secure protocols on Monday 13 July when he made an unauthorized visit to his home in Hove,” said an ECB statement.